33 Union Square West

In the 1860s, as fashionable New York continued its northward exodus, Union Square evolved into the hub of a bright and busy commercial district. One of the marquee businesses to establish a flagship there was the Decker Brothers Piano Company, which constructed a four-story, John Edelmann-designed showpiece at 33 Union Square West. Highly luxurious and decorative, with Venetian-style ornamentation, the building was replaced by a much taller and even more wonderfully fanciful iteration in 1893, and this “sliver” building remained an architectural and cultural landmark through the bleaker 1960s and 1970s and New York’s financial crisis. Artist Andy Warhol, whose notorious Factory moved to the building’s sixth floor in 1968, was famously shot there; the edifice was proclaimed a landmark by the city exactly twenty years later. In 1996, United American Land completed a comprehensive overhaul of this jewel and a meticulous restoration of its famous Islamic style facade. The project proved itself an integral part of renaissance of the Union Square district, and is now one of Manhattan’s coveted addresses.

Building Data

11 story retail and residential landmark building on Union Square

Architect

John Edelmann, 1892

Location

33 Union Square West
New York, NY 10033